Making Dental Caries Prevention a Win-Win Concept
Gordon J. Christensen, DDS, MSD, PhD & Rella P. Christensen, PhD
Prevention can be a win-win concept for both patients and dental professionals. Even though your patients may struggle to change bad habits, they desire to reduce caries. Developing a preventive practice is possible by staff, dentist, and patients working together. Many of your patients will take the responsibility to integrate the following concepts into their lives, and with few exceptions, this will allow them to have no or few dental caries during their lives. The following concepts are included in this video:
- Preventive education for staff and assignment of clinical procedures.
- Proven ways to increase positive oral hygiene behavior.
- Development and implementation of a childhood preventive/restorative contract for your practice.
- Influencing patients toward a reasonable and healthy diet from childhood and through maturity.
- Effective use of prenatal fluoride supplements and high-level fluoride for susceptible patients.
- Developing a successful regular recare/hygiene program.
- The best restorative materials and how to use them.
Contrary to popular belief, preventive dentistry can still significantly increase revenue. Build a successful practice with the reputation of concern for patient’s overall health and well-being.