Local Anesthesia: Eliminating Misses and Near Misses
Mel Hawkins, DDS, BScD (AN) & Gordon J. Christensen, DDS, MSD, PhD
Everybody would like to have the assurance that local anesthetic injections would work almost every time as planned. It is possible; this video will help! Regardless of your age and experience, who couldn’t benefit from having better local anesthetic expertise? Let Mel Hawkins and Gordon Christensen help you understand:
- Reasons for lack of effective anesthesia, especially on inferior alveolar blocks.
- The pros and cons of the conventional “mandibular” block.
- Alternatives and multi-task supplementation of injections with infiltrative techniques.
- The panacea or problem questions regarding articaine.
- Numerous other pertinent anesthesia questions are answered.
Upgrade your local anesthetic delivery techniques and please your patients and yourself!
Table of Contents
- Prevalence of Need for Local Anesthesia
- Reasons for Local Anesthetic Failure
- The Inferior Alveolar Nerve Block Revisited
- Clinical Technique
- The Gow-Gates Mandibular Block
- Infiltration in the Mandible
- Is Articaine a Superior Local Anesthetic?
- Is Neurotoxicity an Issue with Articaine?
- Effects of Lidocaine and Articaine on Neuronal Survival and Recovery
- Tips to Reduce the Incidence of Near Misses or Misses
- Alternative Local Anesthesia Techniques
- The Future of Pain Control in Dentistry